What is a University-Model® School?
A UMS is a hybrid of a traditional 5-day-a-week school and homeschooling that blends the best of both methods. UMS students have quality classroom instruction together with caring parental involvement while using a college-style schedule. The immediate goal of a UMS is quality, cost-effective, college-preparatory education accomplished in a way that gives parents more time for imparting the faith and values they hold precious.
Traditional school systems, by their very structure, tend to rob parents and students of meaningful time together. A UMS gives time and access back to parents in exchange for their commitment to be academically and relationally involved with their students outside of class according to the college-preparatory curriculum design.
University-Model® schooling was developed to fulfill two basic purposes:
1) to offer students the opportunity to acquire a high degree of academic achievement and
2) to preserve and strengthen the God-ordained family relationships in which the Christian faith is most effectively fostered.
How does it work?
GCA offers Upper School core courses on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday class schedule and also offers elective classes on Tuesday-Thursday. All new material is taught by the qualified teacher in the classroom at school.
To view the 2017-2018 Upper School Class Schedule, click here.
To view the 2016-2017 Upper School Class Schedule, click here.
A few benefits
• Students have a relationship with a teacher
who is competent and passionate about their subject matter.
• Students are equipped to take responsibility for their own education
after graduation. The focus of the UMS is on preparing students to become independent, spiritually and academically, so the model structure of a UMS provides a gradual transition from dependent learning to independent learning.
• The relationship between students and parents is encouraged
, not torn down. Parents are enabled to have a meaningful relationship with their children since the family is not tied to a 5-day-a-week traditional school schedule.
• Because of the freer schedule, parents have the opportunity to focus on a child's individual needs and abilities.
• Because students are in school 3/5 of the traditional time with 2/5 of the time spent in Home Study, tuition rates reflect this difference. A UMS structure will allow a classical, Christian education through GCA to be financially accessible to more families. Tuition for a full-time UMS student is much less than other private schools in the area.
Please call the School Office at 864-329-9884 for more information or to schedule a private tour and consultation with GCA's Admissions Director, Nancy Blough.
During the school year, we welcome prospective rising-5th thru 12th grade students students to "shadow" by spending the day attending classes and lunch with our current students. To arrange a day to shadow, call the school office at 864-329-9884.
We are excited about the opportunities University-Model® schooling provides Greenville area families. Please feel free to contact Nancy Blough, Admissions Director, at email@example.com for more information or visit the National Association of University-Model Schools website here.